As originally structured, the Names Committee was a joint committee of Senate by virtue of being a sub-committee of Site Development Committee and also having representatives from the Board of Governors.
The Chair in Northern Studies, established in 1986, is supported by a $250,000 endowment from the Secretary of State’s Centre of Specialization Fund and an equal amount raised through the Fund for Excellence, and is associated with Trent’s Frost Centre for Canadian Heritage and Development Studies. The first occupant of the Chair was Hon. Thomas R. Berger.
Otonabee College was officially opened on the west bank of the Symons Campus, Trent University, in 1973. Masters have been Robert Carter, Gary Aitken, Elwood Jones, Finn Gallagher, Gordon Johnston, Robert Annett, Ivana Elbl, and others. For further information about the College and its administration, see A.O.C. Cole, Trent: The Making of a University, pp. 126-129; D'Arcy Jenish, Trent University: Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence, 2014; and the annual course calendars (available in the Archives Reading Room).
Julian Blackburn College was established in 1975 to facilitate part-time studies at Trent University. It was officially opened on October 24, 1975 in a ceremony held in the Wenjack Theatre. JBC was named in honour of the late Professor Julian Blackburn who provided counsel and advice in the planning of Trent University, and in its formative years contributed greatly to the development of a program of part-time studies.
Director of Part-time Studies: 1967-1968 Walter Pitman (acting). 1968-1974 Hal Hooke, Principal of Julian Blackburn College: 1976-1977 Hal Hooke, 1977-1978 Erica Pipher, acting), 1978-1981 Erica Pipher, 2009-current Robin Lathangue.
Vice-Principal and Director of Off Campus Courses: 1976 Erica Pipher
Vice-Dean Arts and Science and Principal of Julian Blackburn College : 1981-1985 Lionel Rubinoff
Associate Dean and Director of Julian Blackburn Centre for Continuing Education: 1985-1986 Michael Treadwell (acting), 1986-1988 Michael Treadwell, 1988-1990 George Nader.
Associate Dean of Arts and Science and Principal of Julian Blackburn College: 1990-1994 George Nader, 1994-1996 John Syrett, 1996-1998 Jackie Tinson (acting), 1998-1999 Murray Genoe (acting), 1999-2002 Beth Popham.
Associate Dean of Arts and Science (Continuing Education and Part-Time Studies) / Principal, Julian Blackburn College : 2002-2009 Murray Genoe; 2009-2011 Robin Lathangue, and others.
For further information about part-time studies, its governing bodies, its relationship to Trent's Durham GTA campus, and its administration, see A.O.C. Cole, Trent: The Making of a University, pp. 126-129; D'Arcy Jenish, Trent University: Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence, 2014; RG2; and the course calendars (available in the Archives Reading Room).
Peter Gzowski College, named after Canadian broadcaster/journalist and former Trent Chancellor Peter Gzowski, opened to students in 2004 on the Symons Campus. Gzowski College, is housed in Enweyaang, a building located on the East side of the Otonabee River.
Peter Robinson College was opened in 1964 as an all-male college. It was named after Peter Robinson, the government representative responsible for organizing the first substantial immigration to the Peterborough area. College Masters were Richard Sadleir, Ian Chapman, Ian McLachlan, Andrew Wernick, John Milloy, Theresa Topic, Jan Fialkowski (acting), George Nader, and Peter Lapp (acting). The College was closed in the early 2000s
The office of President and Vice-Chancellor of Trent University has been filled by the following incumbents: Thomas H.B. Symons, 1963-1972; Richard Sadleir (Acting), 1968, 1971; Thomas Nind, 1972-1980; Marion Fry (Acting), 1977; Donald Theall, 1980-1987; Roy Edwards (Acting), 1984; John Stubbs, 1987-1993; David Morrison (Acting), 1993; Leonard Conolly, 1994-1997; David Smith (Interim), 1997-1998; Bonnie Patterson 1998-2009; Steven Franklin 2009-2014; Leo Groarke 2014-current.
The Presidential Review Committee was created in the spring of 1983 at the instigation of President Donald Theall. It was formed with four board members, two faculty and two students giving it a structure of eight people. The committee was formed to assess a renewal of contract with the President. (Taken from: Cole, A.O.C. "Trent : The Making of a University 1957-1987." Trent University, 1992.)
The Travel Grants Committee was disbanded in 1992 when, under the collective agreement, TUFA travel grants were incorporated into research grants.
From 1966 to 1973, John Leishman was Controller and, from 1971, also Vice-President (Finance). The office was split in 1973 and there was a Vice-President (Finance) and a Controller (Peter Lewis). John Earnshaw became Vice-President (Administration and Finance) in 1981 as John Leishman moved to the position of Executive Vice-President (External Relations and Financial Affairs). John Earnshaw held the office until August 1991. Nancy Sullivan became Vice-President (Finance and Administration), 1991-1994. For further information about the office and its leadership over the years, see A.O.C. Cole, Trent: The Making of a University, pp. 126-129; D'Arcy Jenish, Trent University: Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence, 2014; and the annual course calendars (available in the Archives Reading Room).
This position was renamed from the previous Vice-President (Academic) at the same time as the title "Provost" was detached from the Vice-President (Academic) and attached to the position of "Dean and Provost". Several additional changes to this title have taken place over the years.
The Women’s Studies Program at Trent University was established in 1987. The first Chair was Prof. Christl Verduyn. As an interdisciplinary program, Women's Studies draws on the insights and methodologies from a wide variety of disciplines such as history, literature, psychology, sociology, politics and anthropology.
The Trent Valley Navigation Company, Bobcaygeon, Ontario, was incorporated in 1883. Mossom Martin (Mossie) Boyd was the president of the company and he and his brother William owned nearly all of the stock. The company consisted of a fleet of a half dozen steamboats which operated along the waterways surrounding Bobcaygeon, carrying passengers and freight from Lindsay to Coboconk, Sturgeon Point, Fenelon Falls and Bobcaygeon. At Lindsay there was a connection with the Grand Trunk Railway. In the most productive years (after the turn of the century) revenue was almost evenly divided between passenger and freight transportation. The Company closed in 1915, precipitated by the death of Mossom Boyd the previous year.
The Trent Valley Woollen Mill was located in Campbellford, Ontario on the shore of the Trent River at the turn of the 20th century.
In 1994, Trent entered into several agreements with Sir Sandford Fleming College for the provision of joint degree and non-degree programs. The Trent-Fleming joint programs extend educational opportunities by combining theory and practice in a number of professional and career fields.
The Trent-Fleming Trail Studies Unit (TSU) was started in 1992 to address a lack of research into trails. TSU was a joint initiative between Sir Sanford Fleming College and Trent University. TSU was directed by Professor John Marsh of Trent University and Dr. Al McPherson of Sir Sanford Fleming College. TSU was in operation from 1992-2022 and held 3400 publications regarding national and international trails in their library. TSU also engaged in research projects, conferences, committees, and public education on trails.
The aims of TSU included:
- Conduct research on trails, trail use, trail management, trail interpretation, trail impact.
- Offer courses relating to the development, planning, management and interpretation of trails.
- Develop interpretation materials and services and services relating to trails
- Assemble documentation on trails, trail studies, trail interpretation, and produce bibliographies relating to trails.
Throughout its tenure, TSU hosted conferences, created local guides on trails, consulted on trail-related projects on a national and international level, led numerous research projects, and supported student research via graduate theses, and undergraduate course work and honours theses.
The Trotter family lived on a farm in Lindsay, Ontario at the turn of the century.
Major William Sansome Tucker was a noted British physicist who excelled in the area of physics known as sound phenomena.
The Tuer family originated in or around Liverpool, England. Part of the family emigrated to Canada, possibly around the 1840's, and settled into the Port Hope area. They maintained strong links with the family residing in Liverpool as can be seen by the wills and estate settlements in the fonds. One of the Tuer family members, a Peter Tuer (died December 22, 1849), the father, married Mary and they had Peter (who married Lucy and he died April 1, 1855) Charles, Robert, James, William Henry (died January 1, 1853), Clara Tuer (married Henry Gregory), Thomas, Eliza (married Richard Gregory) and Sarah (married Currie Busfield). William Henry, (died 1853) had four children: Fanny (married Robert Olden), Ann (married Lionel Smith) and Francis Hugh and Sarah who were infants at the time of his death. Another Tuer family member was Thomas Tuer (died November 15, 1881) who married Elizabeth Jane Kilshaw and they had Thomas, Henry, Mary, Henry Arthur, Margaret, Jessie and William Frederick Joseph. Thomas Tuer was a bookkeeper living in Liverpool in the County of Lancaster, England, Great Britain. There are a number of family members on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean who carry the same names and this makes it difficult to ascertain familial relationships. (The preceding information was found in the wills and estates records within the fonds.)
Mary Tuer of Port Hope, Ontario, travelled to Europe with a group of women in 1914. Unfortunately, their tour was caught in Freiberg, Germany at the time England declared war against Germany on 5 August 1914.
Dr. Henry Allan Turner was born in County Cork, Ireland 1 March 1828. He emigrated to Canada in 1852 which was the same year he graduated from the University in Dublin. He settled in Millbrook, Canada West. He fought in the Fenian Raids of 1867 and became a Lieutenant Colonel in the 3rd Dragoons and 46th Durham Regiment. He was a medical officer during the Reil Rebellions. He had a practice in Millbrook where he had purchased property in 1876 for his office. He was organist and a lay reader in the Anglican Church. He married Charlotte Hodgins and they had three children: Alice, Isabel, and Henry Allan Jr. who became a doctor like his father. He retired in 1900 and moved to Victoria in British Columbia to be closer to his daughters. He died in Victoria in March 1922. Dr. Henry Allan Turner, Junior, graduated from Trinity Medical School in 1889. He started to practice in the same year with his father in Millbrook. He became the only doctor in Millbrook when his father went to Victoria, British Columbia. Dr. H.A. Turner, Jr., set up a private hospital in Millbrook and the property also housed his office, drug store (run by William Turner, an uncle and pharmacist) and a telephone office. He had a full-time permanent trained nurse helping him. Dr. Henry Allan Turner, Junior, married Alice Jane Scott, a nurse. He retired in 1937 and he died in 1951. (Taken from: Martyn, John. The Past is Simply a Beginning: Peterborough Doctors 1825-1993.)
Larry Turner was born in Toronto in 1951. He graduated with a B.A. in History and Canadian Studies from Trent University in 1976, and completed his Master's degree at Queen's University in 1984. Turner was a well-known Ontario historian. He published nine books: Rideau with J. de Visser, Ernestown: Rural Spaces, Urban Places, Perth: Tradition and Style in Eastern Ontario, Voyage of a Different Style, Merrickville: The Jewel on Rideau, etc. and wrote a number of articles. After completing several research reports for Parks Canada on the history of the Rideau and Tay Canals, Turner compiled the extensive Rideau Canal Bibliography, 1972-1992. He also wrote several biographies for Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Between 1987 and 1994, he was principal historian with the Commonwealth Historical Management Ltd. of Perth and Vancouver. In 1995 he began operating his own research, publishing and consulting firm, Petherwin Heritage.Turner was past chairman of the Friends of the Rideau, and a member of the Canadian Canal Society, Ontario Historical Society, and the Merrickville Heritage Foundation and Historical Society. Larry Turner died 26 August 1996.
William Twist was a resident of Lakefield, Ontario with a long-standing interest in its architecture and history. He was a member of the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC) from 1989 to 1995 and Chair of Lakefield's Christ Church Restoration Committee.
Underwood & Underwood established itself in 1882 as a stereographic distributing company. The company was founded by two brothers, Elmer and Bert Underwood. They distributed stereographs for Charles Bierstadt, J.F. Jarvis and the Littleton View Company. In 1891 Bert learned how to operate a camera and thus the firm of Underwood & Underwood Publishing entered a new merchandising sphere. By 1897 the company had a number of full-time staff and free lance photographers. In the same year the Underwoods purchased the businesses of Jarvis; Bierstadt; and, William H. Rau. Underwood & Underwood were publishing twenty-five thousand stereographs a day by 1901. The firm still canvassed and sold its own stereographs. Around 1900 Underwood & Underwood introduced boxed sets, with specific themes such as education and religion, and travel sets depicting popular tourist areas of the world. By 1910 Underwood & Underwood had entered the field of news photography. Due to this expansion stereograph production was reduced until the early years of World War I. Altogether Underwood & Underwood produced between 30 000 and 40 000 stereographic titles. In 1920 stereograph production was discontinued and Underwood & Underwood sold its stereographic stock and rights to the Keystone View Company. (Taken from: Darrah, William C. The World of Stereographs. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 1977.)